Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 PM
DotCanada

Talking Newbie from Small Town, Central Ontario finally ready to jump right in!

I actually "joined" this Board back in April; have been "lurking", reading, and learning ever since!

I am a mother of three "kids"; one at university, one at college, and the youngest in her last year of high school. After far more years of competitive sports and dance classes than I can count, we have almost reached the end (last season!), so I think I will finally have time to learn to quilt - which I have been wanting to do for YEARS! I am learning by trial and error and all that I can soak-up from the internet, so hope I can manage it on my own. Other people think it's old fashioned - I think it's beautiful and will be little pieces of ME to leave behind.

So far, I have made 3 rag quilts -crib/lap size (figured they were a good starting point), large pot holders to fit my lasagna pans, and pieced one quilt top. My quilt top has large 14" blocks to accomodate a particular fabric, sashing and corner stones. Finished the piecing in July, and it has sat untouched ever since because I was too nervous to cut a backing,sandwich & quilt - afraid I was going to ruin it. Well, enough of that! Have been forced to take a couple of days off work due to shingles, so what better time to finally jump right in! Today I cut & pieced the backing and inserted a label into some of the piecing. Tomorrow I will spray baste and (gulp) quilt. Straight line quilting only at this point in time -lol.

I have set up a great sewing centre in one side of my rec room complete with cutting table, large sewing table, armoire cabinets & peg board storage. Oh, did I mention that I puchased my "dream machine" two weeks ago?! SO excited! Have had a 16 stitch Kenmore for the past 20 years (which I taught myself to sew on as my kids were growing up) and have now purchased a Janome 6600

woo hoo - let the learning begin!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]446570[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]446572[/ATTACH]
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> </SCRIPT>