View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 11:57 PM
ArchaicArcane

Default Weird question - Singer handwheels

OK, so my first vintage machine (Betty) was / is a 1913 model 27 (looks like a 127, but it's got weird early features and ISMACS says it's a 27). Her handwheel (spoked) is very rusty and in need of a lot of TLC.

Fast forward about 10 years. I get a "parts" 127, and the spoked handwheel is in better shape than Betty's. Perfect, right?

It doesn't fit! The "new" handwheel seems to be a little deeper than the original, and it's just enough that the stop motion washer doesn't seat properly, and so of course nothing goes together quite right.

My first instinct was to "hollow" it out a little because I could see the difference, but I think I would have to deal with a lot of rust if I did that, or would I? It does look like that part is basically raw metal, but I'm a little baffled as to why the discrepancy...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]446611[/ATTACH]

Betty's original hand wheel is on the top, the replacement one on the bottom. The part with the arrows is one of two things I can see that are different, (the flange after the belt groove itself seems a smidge thicker on the replacement one, as well as the groove (with the arrows) being shallower but I haven't taken calipers to the rest of the wheel yet.

What would you do?
Attached Thumbnails img_1061.jpg