Thread: Lost the urge
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 08:16 AM
auntjo

Boy can I relate! Just two nites ago I finally sat down & sewed together a block that was part of this boards Farmers Wife Quilt BOM in 2011. I got out my notebook to jot down the date & noted that after my DH died in May, 2011, I did sort of a catch up in late June & July, 2011 before I started teaching again, but there was nothing noted 'til 10/13 - which means I sewed that block October 13 of 2012. Then nothing til this week - & this was one that I cut out 10/13. It did feel good tho to sit at my machine in my new studio in my own sweet time. I did squeeze in teaching a Geometry class built around designing & creating a quilt at my last HS teaching job, but that is the extent of my quilting the past couple years. My life has changed dramatically in more ways than one & I have been quite busy dealing with & making those changes - that's my excuse anyway. Traveled a lot this past year w/my Dad dying last Xmas & I stayed in the midwest w/my Mom for a couple months. I did take a very old UFO Xmas quilt handquilting project w/me & discovered to my surprise that my arthritis is now in my wrists & hurt most of the rest of this year to the point of having to wear a wrist brace. Been downsizing & packing up my house in AZ & moving to central CA since August 2012. Finally sold the house September 10th & am done w/that. Been taking my time putting together my new studio, going thru everything to find it a new home in a new space. I've gone to a couple local quilt guild meetings trying to get started w/finding some new quilting buddies to get together with to jumpstart my own self - but that just takes time. Brought home some donation quilts from a Project Linus huge quilt bee to put on my Tin Lizzie to get back into my machine quilting & yes it has been on the machine since July, but have yet to take a stitch. Maybe today - but I have said that several times since putting it on the machine! Just found out a good friend of my new partner got married a couple weeks ago & my first reaction was that I want to make them a quilt. So was into the books & found a pattern we both like the looks of & have gone thru my stash to find what I have that will work & to see what I will need to buy to get started. That mojo is coming back slowly, but it has been a long hiatus that apparently was just necessary for me. When I finally get my desktop computer back (it's been down almost a year w/everything else going on), I will finally be able to share pics of my new space & get back to completing & sharing the last 5 blocks & completed quilt top w/the gals I have yet to finish from the 2011-2012 BOM club. It will turn around. Give yourself room to breathe, read a good book, let yourself evolve back into it when you are ready.