View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Sheluma

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Thanks everyone! I have EvapoRust here, but have never had an opportunity to use it ( no lack of projects, just a lack of time). Overnight, eh? I will maybe put a tub of it in the oven for the night one day this weekend (I know it says that it's "Safe", but my kitters are not the smartest )

I noticed on the label is said to clean it up then to dip it and let it air dry. Is this a lasting treatment? I don't have to worry about putting her away and then finding her rusted as bad or worse than before?

I like that tip Joe, I can see how that would be a time saver, or at the least a sanity saver.

In other news, I oiled up the "parts machine", she turns beautifully now, but the carriage that holds the shuttle is bent, so the shuttle flops around. I know someone who's just enamored with the Variable shuttles and loves machines with stories and battle scars. This lady has both so I will gift it to him as a display piece.
Is it odd that the hand wheels are different? I don't have enough experience to know, but it seems odd to me.

I remember reading on the Evaporust website that if you don't dip it in fresh solution the iron oxides in the first solution (from the rust that was removed) will cause the item to rust. A thin coating of clean evaporust will protect it for a short time (a week or two? not sure.) BUT I don't do this. I just rinse off the evaporust with water and proceed. It seems too much trouble and waste of product to dip it in clean solution. Once the rust is gone and the solution is rinsed off and the item is dried thoroughly, it's just like any other steel item. I am very nervous using water around steel so I dry thoroughly with towels and if the thing has crevices I blast it with the hair dryer, then I oil it or put some WD40 on it immediately (gasp! WD40 only if there aren't any moving parts). Sometimes I put alcohol on it after I rinse with water, just to displace some water and help the thing dry faster.