View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 02:54 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

I would jump in a do it if I was looking for something new and had someone in mind, I enjoy challenging myself- and have always been 'adventurous'. I learned a long time ago it is easier when you break it down in your mind into smaller sections instead of being overwhelmed by the whole picture. years ago I had a 'quilter friend' who kept telling me...."you should 'do this', you would love quilting if you would just start" (I had been making clothing for many years) I would go to the library after one of her 'talks' and look for quilting books- pull one off the shelf- thumb through it- usually see one I kind of liked- start to read the instructions and it would start with something like...'cut 810 (2") squares' I would put that book back on the shelf, shaking my head & think to myself....this is NEVER going to happen! then one day I saw a quilt I thought was BEAUTIFUL....read about it- it was a 'block of the month' which I had never heard of before- I read about it & thought,,, 'now that I could do' and signed up...by the 2nd block I was caught up in the whole 'quilting thing' and haven't looked back since. my 3rd quilt even had 4500 (2") squares in it! made out of 15 individual blocks of 300 pieces each. if I had started it thinking 4500 squares I never would have finished it- but I started with a block, and after I had finished the 9th block someone asked me how many pieces were in each one & I did the math... wow! 300 in one block- what was I thinking? I still feel overwhelmed if I put to much thought into the 'math' but if I ignore the math I know I can accomplish amazing quilts. and I do not hesitate to jump in & do what ever catches my eye that I want to make.