Old 11-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Lew Schiller

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I hope you realize these sites are run for the advertisers not for the customers...

It's a shame, same as the death of Singer and Sears... pandering to profit watchers, not pride in product...
But these are free ads. Where's the profit motive?
The response I got was - it's for about spam reduction.
This will make people write better ads..they said.
I thought that's what flagging was for.
When I asked what makes for greater "Relevance" I was told that that's a secret
When I pointed out that the only thing that seemed to make the #1 ad in Sewing Machine Search Relevance #1 was word count I was told that doesn't matter - but again they wouldn't tell me what does.
When I pointed out that this was quite an afront to those for whom English is not a primary language or those who lack creative writing skills we stopped conversing.

Yes - for those of us who work CL like a slot machine we'll make the extra selection of Newest but what about people unfamiliar with CL? There's no Introduction page that tells them that the results they will see - unless they choose newest - will be presented in a random order based on "Relevance" and that a lot of what they're presented with will already be sold.

I'm suggesting to everybody who uses CL regularly that they go to the feedback forum and post their opinion - one way or another.

All I really wanted to convey to them was
A: Ok - can't you make Newest the Default and Relevance the Option?
B: How about a setting where we can choose which we prefer?

Last edited by Lew Schiller; 11-14-2013 at 01:48 PM.