View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 05:20 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
............I also found a lot of the low fat things have a lot of salt. We don't use salt on the table or in our cooking and we eat very little packaged food but I was shocked how much salt is in ordinary everyday things we use.
Fat has flavour and taking out the fat can compromise the taste. So often times that sees extra salts being put in, to get the flavour back to what the consumer will accept.

Sodium is a flavour enhancer well as being a preservative. Thus, for many of the pre-made foods, you will often see high sodium levels in order to allow the foods to have such long Best Before Dates ... or to sit in our homes for so long before being used!

Originally Posted by patski View Post
If you cannot make all your own foods try things from out of the country. I buy sauce made in Italy (only 3%sodium) you can find beets that are under 9%. Everything I use for my DH has to be under 9% which is really low.Even condiments are loaded with salt. I make everything from scratch most of the time but if I need something in a jar what comes from out of the US is WAY lower in salt
I believe your label is not showing 3% sodium content in the food.
Rather that it is 3% RDA ... meaning that one serving is 3% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of sodium in your diet.

Last edited by QuiltE; 11-18-2013 at 05:30 AM.