Thread: Amish Quilts
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 09:38 AM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Google is your friend!
http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/AmishQuilt.shtml

In addition to this explanation... An Amish quilt, actually made by the Amish could be pieced on a treadle machine (Amish shun electricity) or hand pieced but would definitely be hand quilted.

An Amish Style quilt could be assembled in any way, machine or hand and finished by hand.

Some sects of Mennonite will use electricity so the quilt could be machine pieced and quilted.
While the Amish don't have electricity connected to their house, not as much because of the electricity, but because they don't want any physical " connection" with the outside world, they DO use gas powered generators for their sewing machines, which can be old Singers, or modern Berninas. So, that means while hand quilting is traditional, it is NOT the only way they do it. Interestingly, the advent of cell phones has put a forth a predicament for the Amish. The phones are not technically " connected " to their property, so it is sort of gray area. Many Amish have a phone booth and answering machine on the edge of their property that they use to do business with the outside world. Amish workers will travel with a driver to many areas to do their construction jobs, but don't actually operate the vehicle. I go to a quilt store in Amish Lancaster county that uses a gas generator powered electronic cash register. It tickles me to see young Amish in updated Nike sneakers like the rest of our youth have! But, I guess this digresses from the original question, which I sure was about "traditional" Amish quilts, and I agree, the internet is a good resource if you aren't close to an Amish community.