View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 05:50 AM
Jean45

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Sorry...don't do machine quilting. But, my basic advice is always make up a spreadsheet of your 'needs'/'wants'. See what machines fit into those parameters and go from there. Obviously $$ is a concern but just make that a line item in your spreadsheet. Then go test driving. And take your own samples. Don't rely on the store samples. Take piecing samples as well as quilting samples. Only you can decide what works for you/your budget. Personally I'm a Viking girl and love mine. But that's just me.
I wondered if I was the only one sold on Viking. I got a Designer I that had been a tradein a long time ago and I love it. Just bought the Viking 100Q to take to classes. Ask who/where the warranty work is done, where is a repairman. I had bought the Singer 70 in honor of Joanns 70 yrs. It was an order from the net. Got it and the paperwork inside said warranty work had to be sent to Florence, SC. Another in my class had a Singer from Wally World she was having problems with, it was under warranty, and yes, she had to ship it. From the start the Singer 70 had problems. Motor still hummed after I took my foot off the pedal. I did send it back to Joanns. I couldn't take it to the store. Joanns was very good about taking it, no hassle, sent me the paperwork to FedEx it at their expense. But, I learned my lesson. Take something to sew on what you are shopping for. Know how/where the warranty work is handled. Listen to it as you sew. Nothing has been smoother than my Vikings and I like that. And, happy shopping.