Thread: Amish Quilts
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 08:05 AM
stillclock

a stop in the road in intercourse pennsylvania was the reason i started quilting. we wandered through the quilt shops there, one incredible work after another on display. but with prices starting at $1000 i knew there would always be reasons not to but their work, that there would always be something else pressing my budget. and i was still in high school.

so i started quilting. my appreciation for their work has grown, and my desire to sit in a traditional quilting bee is unabated.

sometimes when i get all down about finances, or find myself wanting a $5000 sewing machine i don't need, or i see all the gadgets we have (software, computerized long arm machines, piece cutters etc.) i am reminded that some of the most beautful textile work i have ever seen was made with hands and simple tools. and when i get down about a culture that still tells women they can't do math or science, that somehow we're not built for the work of engineering or design, i remember the quilters. and it heartens me.

we owe a lot to those quilts and the women who made them, us contemporary quilters.

aileen

Last edited by stillclock; 11-20-2013 at 08:08 AM.