View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

I actually don't use a 1/4-inch foot at all.

I get moleskin or moleskin plus (a little thicker) in the foot section of the pharmacy and cut strips of it with my ruler and rotary cutter. To position, I place my favorite thin-lined ruler under the presser foot, lower the needle so the needle point is just a little to the right of the 1/4" line on the ruler, lower the presser foot to keep the ruler in position, make sure the ruler is running straight front-to-back, remove the adhesive from the back of a moleskin strip and butt the moleskin up against the edge of the ruler. Usually I will add another strip of moleskin on top of the first to make sure the barrier is tall enough so my fabric doesn't "jump" over the barrier.

Alternatively, I use these Dritz adhesive seam guides -- which I love even better than the moleskin because they are taller and the foam is nice:
http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Quilting...dp/B0085L2Y2I/
I have found these hanging on the wall in the quilting area of JoAnne Fabrics too. Just *do not* get the package that includes the red ruler. The red ruler is useless because it measures a full 1/4" inch. If you use it to position the strip, your quilting seam will be too wide. You want your guide to be a "scant" 1/4-inch from the needle, not a full 1/4-inch!

I find with this physical barrier that I am able to sew strips of fabric very quickly and still have very accurate straight seams.

Last edited by Prism99; 11-20-2013 at 10:55 AM.