Old 11-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Just Jan

Default Bread-Potatoes not Potato Bread, want recipe.

Does anyone have a recipe for the German style Bread-Potatoes? Mom used to make them many years ago and I made them when my kids were little. My friend asked for the recipe but I don't have one. I just remember we made them in a skillet using any type of left over potatoes and added pieces of torn up bread (like for stuffing) and milk and then added whatever else we had at the time, like chopped onions or mushrooms or bits of bacon, etc. We added a bit of either Crisco or bacon grease or such so it would not stick to the skillet. We put a lid on it and steamed it til the flavors blended then removed the lid and let it brown, turning it periodically until it was not doughy but was sort of the consistency of stuffing, with pieces of the browned part throughout. Totally yummy! I used to serve them with supper, or at breakfast with eggs. I like gravy over mine. I would love to have an actual recipe to share with my friend, because I don't remember what amount of milk or how much bread to add to the potatoes, etc. (I think Mom used canned milk but I used whole milk.) This might even be an Amish recipe. If someone has a recipe please PM me. Thanks. Jan