Old 11-21-2013, 04:15 AM
ManiacQuilter2
Power Poster

First-be happy with the layout of your fabrics. I cut a strip of each color (width depends on the pattern) and butt them up against one another and so you can look at it and choose if you are pleased with the results. Post a picture here if you want our opinions. Don't rush this part. If you change your mind (which I DID on my Island Sunset), it is a very difficult to make the change working with such small pieces.

I find it important to label my rows. Do it the same as the design chart. Depending on how complex the pattern you have selected, you may be attaching many small pieces to that anchor strip.

Made a copy of the design chart. I would make a small check when I completed a section. To me, I call a section a group of value of the same color. I actually sewed them in these sections and found it easier to piece the quilt in smaller sections. I was amazed how many times I referred to that as my guide.

Have your seam ripper available at all times. You may be dropping a fabric from the strip more often then with a normal quilt pattern.

Take your time and be patient. If you find yourself rushing, take a time out and walk away. Come back after a cup of tea when you are ready to start to tackle the complexity of this quilt.

I have done the Aurora Borealis, Island Sunset and two Bargello Table runner. I have posted these pictures on this board. I have pulled fabric to do the Surf Song but want to make it smaller quilt then instructions are for. Eileen told me she had put another layout in her new book but haven't had the chance to purchase that one yet.

Good luck and please keep in contact with us. WE are always happy to assist you thru this process. Just look at it like cocking. There are easy recipes but then there are more complicated recipes. GOOD LUCK !!!