Thread: Life with a cat
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 02:20 AM
Stiffchick

Hi! I have 8 cats. We say cat hair is a clothing accessory and a food condiment here. Don't remember where I heard that but I love it. I know declawing is a touchy subject, much like clipping a pet birds wings is. I have not declawed any of my cats, nor would I personally in the future. But that being said, I would not hold it against someone who did declaw. While finding a vet to do the procedure is getting more difficult, there are still some out there that will. I am saying all this with the utmost respect to everyone that posted before and after me. To declaw or not declaw is a personal choice, and in my opinion, if it is the difference between a cat being able to stay in its home and not end up on the streets (and eventually at my house lol) or in a shelter, I say do it. If god forbid the housing situation changes and kitty can no longer stay in his home, declawed cats are adopted much quicker too. Just my thoughts. I know it's painful and leaves them defenseless if they get out. I worked in a vet clinic where some vets wouldn't declaw and some of the older vets would. It's just so sad the overpopulation problem, there are not enough homes. Anything that helps them get homes and stay out of shelters can't be frowned upon completely, can it?

i also wanted to say congratulations on your new kitty!! He will calm down with age and after being fixed. (They tend to get a little fat) a spray bottle with water will help teach him where he can and cannot go. Lots of play time while watching tv or talking on the phone will wear him out and keep his hunting need filled. (Also they generally stop climbing things as they grow up out of kitten stage)

Last edited by Stiffchick; 11-22-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Add comment