Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 AM
SimpsonFrances

There are lots of gadgets out there to buy. Don't...get a good mat, good rotary cutter and a 6 1/2 x 24" ruler and a basic sewing machine that will let you drop the feed dogs. If you can take a basic rotary cutting class from your local quilt shop. Learn how to make the scant 1/4" seam on your machine. Not every machine is the same. There are some tips on how to do that on utube and other beginning books. I took a basic rotary cutting class a couple of years after I had started piecing....wish I had not waited...made a big big difference in my cutting. Bad cutting and bad seam allowances will make you crazy. I recommend the Yellow Brick Road pattern or one similar as a first quilt pattern. There are others. Personally, I do not like precuts. But many people do. I like to make my own choices and combinations....not use all in one collection...personal choice... You will figure out what you like if you choose to continue quilting. Good cutting and good sewing will solve lots of problems!!!