View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 06:25 AM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

Just had this same discussion at my quilting group yesterday! Responses were all over the map...
0. ( you didn't ask but...) How do you prepare binding?
Unless I'm doing a scallop, I cut it across the grain, 2.25", and do not press it in half.
1. Which side do you attach the binding - back to front or front to back.
I attach it to the front first, using my 1/4" even feed foot
2. How do you line up the fold over to get even stitching on the other side.
I press 3 times: Once to set the seam (avoiding fold of the binding)
The second time, I fold it straight out, really giving it a tug to make sure that there's no tuck in the binding. again not pressing the fold
The third time I press it back over the edge, pressing the fold in, making sure the binding is even and fully filled with the batting. I press to within 2 or 3 inches of the corner. dealing with that section as I sew it.
3. How do you stitch the mitre.
OK, I know you are supposed to do this, but I don't. Send in the police.
4. What stitch do you use in the final sew - straight or decorative (includes zig zag)
I usually don't need to pin or even glue. As I sew, I just hold the quilt up a bit from the bed and feel with my fingers to make sure the binding stays in place. As I come to a corner, I stop and manipulate the binding so the corner lays flat and pin this small area securely. I sew a straight stitch from the front, stitching in the ditch.

My binding is narrow and the excess binding makes a bit of a flange in the back, but it's just fine with me! I will say that I do not enter any shows or competitions. If I did, I would hand stitch #4, and stitch the miter closed.