View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Chasezzz

I am co-leader for such a group at our church. The group existed before I joined, so I didn't work on the initial organizational part. We have a lot of fun and are very productive doing charitable things as well as building our quilting skills and enjoying the time sewing together. We are beginning our planning for the coming year and found this general outline worked well in 2013, so we'll probably do again in 2014. We had a "theme" for each quarter (Q1 teach a basic quilting skill through a project each member can do for themselves--in 2013 that was HSTs; Q2 projects for a specific identified charity--this year quilts for the child protection sections of the sheriff and police departments; Q3 a simple quilt pattern all can do either for the charitable shelf or themselves, this year rag quilt; and Q4 a holiday theme project). In addition, on an ad hoc basis throughout the year leaders show quick projects that may appeal to group members, and those who are interested may do these. At our meetings we always have a show-and-tell that allows the sharing of individual projects underway as well as those being done for the quarterly "theme." One thing we emphasize is we are happy to have those of any skill level join in...we'll even teach them to sew. We have instituted a "two foot rule" for our group charitable projects...if you can't see the "mistake" from two feet away, don't worry about correcting it! This approach has reduced the stress for less skilled quilters who are working along side much more experienced ones. I think you could lead a group even given your schedule if you share some responsibilities with others in the group and keep things simple/flexible.