View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 06:26 PM
GeeGee

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Hohoho I had just the same thought. I don't know how much a quilting mag costs, but if it is $10 and there are 10 patterns written up in it and you sell each one for $10 by cutting the pattern out of the mag, then cheerio to you, you just made $90! Sell them for $5 then you made $40.
Of course you have to go to all the trouble of cutting them up and listing them on Ebay. So maybe deduct whatever you think your time is worth from the gross profit, and however much the mailing is, unless of course you charge postal.

No different than selling the whole magazine, the way people do at yard sales hawking old National Geographics.
I agree, I really don't think they are making much profit. The ones I have seen sell the pattern for 99 cents in a plastic sleeve plus about 2 dollars for shipping. They have to buy the sleeves, mailing supplies, pay seller fees and use their time to photograph, list, package and mail.

My time is valuable so I tore the patterns I wanted from the magazines I had, stored them in a notebook and just tossed the rest. Sure felt good trashing all those ads and saving storage space. Now I have stopped subscribing to magazines, got tired of paying big bucks for countless pages of advertisements. Guess I can buy what I want on eBay, a win, win, situation.