View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 03:23 AM
Sandygirl

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
It also used to be called "snip and stuff" if that helps? Karen McTavish does a lot of it.

Absolutely true. I find that a lot of grade one work is good for getting the hang of it - lots of handwritten letters: s, l, e, i, o etc. Try zig zags, and boxes. Then move on to combining these shapes together. This gives you a really good feel for how the machine and you work together. I mentioned in another thread that I've just come off 3 days of classes with Jamie Wallen.

He said:
  • that anything you can draw with an artist's pencil, you can quilt.
  • 30 minutes of "quilt on paper" practice a day.
  • (a little more appropriate for the longarm, but still works for a domestic machine) when you go to her, say, "Oh! You're (just) a pencil! " - your brain doesn't distinguish between the movements with a pencil and a machine.

My suggestions:

Practice drawing what you like to draw. You'll build the muscle memory and quilt it easier. For instance, one of the most natural things for you to write is your name. Try it. I didn't think I could, but I did and it was legible first try.

Trace continuous line designs you like with a finger or a pencil. Over and over again. When you sit down (or stand) at the machine, it will feel natural - and look better than it did on paper.

i always quip....if you have seen my handwriting...you would not want it on a quilt! LOL!

Sandy