Thread: Life with a cat
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 11:40 AM
caspharm

Definitely get the kitten neutered. That will mellow him some. Part of the issue between the dog and cat is territory. They will sort it out. If not, give the kitten up for adoption.

Check the law in Wisconsin, since some states or cities have outlawed declawing as mutilation. When I first had cats, I did have a couple of cats that I had the fronts declawed, but one cat ended up having persistent infections in one toe and had to be redone, because the bone had not been completely removed.

Since then, I have always trained my cats to allow me to clip their nails instead of declawing them (much kinder), especially important since mine were indoor cats (another issue to consider due to safety). I also made sure they had clawing posts. I was able to train my cats to allow this, even though they were adult cats. You can buy different types of nail clippers at the pet store. I agree with getting a climbing tree for the cat - you could probably even make one. There is a guy in my area that makes cat trees out of reclaimed materials, like carpet, plywood, and tree roots.

Last edited by caspharm; 11-23-2013 at 11:47 AM.