View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 04:53 AM
lswan

I belong to a guild of about 40 members. I did not get a "warm vibe" at first, but saw how dedicated the members were to helping each other and to charity quilts. I hung out with them and helped with the quilts and got to know them. We meet three times a month- one a business meeting, one a technique/special project meeting, one an open sewing time (I baste quilts then, women jump in and help me pin). I saw how they rallied around a member with terminal cancer, a woman who suffered a stroke, etc and realize that sometimes you need to earn the trust of members and are not just a taker, but a contributor. Some rules and structure moves the whole ship a bit more effective. We have a quilt show every three years, and I never saw a more cooperative, team, jump right in group of women. They all do different kinds of work and level of expertise. I do a lot of art quilts, and they enjoy seeing that even though most of them are traditional pattern makers. I have learned so much from them. I am grateful for them.