Thread: Go rag die
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 07:32 AM
jeank

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
Well, an update on the rag quilt I made with the die. I am NOT blaming the die, but my quilt turned out terrible.

I think the first problem (which led to the second problem) was that I used two very different kinds of flannel. I bought the second to match the first, but they just weren't the same. As a result, as I was sewing an X through the blocks, on the solids the fabric tended to slide a bit, so they weren't real square. Totally my fault, but I thought there would be room to fudge since the seam allowance was so big.

However, as is so often the case, when you are off by a little, you can end up off by a lot. I ended up having some sections of fringe that were not caught outside the seam, and there was no way to correct it. Had I snipped the blocks by hand, it wouldn't have been a problem, although of course, it would have been a lot more work.

Next time I use the die, I will be much more careful and also choosy about my fabric. I have to say, though, I am not totally enamoured with this die and am not in a hurry to do another rag block soon!
I think that with the layers, that you should have used the walking foot. This would have put them through together.