View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 10:06 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I haven't been repairing sewing machines for very long, but I have been maintaining all sorts of mechanical items from cars to fans to guns to tools for nearly 50 years. Spray lube has it's place, but not for general lubing of sewing machines or finely made mechanical devices.

I can see using a spray lube on a very very dry neglected sewing machine that will be cleaned thoroughly and properly lubed after it's freed up. But to hose a machine with a spray lube because you're in a hurry just makes a mess. Plus the excess just builds up everywhere and makes a machine that much harder to maintain down the road.
I've cleaned so many that have been amber with old oil and lube that I just can't do that.

And those that have been hosed with WD-40 are usually a disaster down the road. That stuff is not a lubricant per sea, but a water dispersant with some limited and temporary lubricating ingredients.

It takes so little time to properly oil a normal machine ( I agree with you about the current plastic wannabee machines ) that I just have to disagree ( politely of course ) with using an aerosol lube for a quicky lube.

On old sewing machines and many not so old, there is a rule of thumb .... if the hole isn't threaded - it's an oil hole. Oil it.

Joe
well said, Joseph!