View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 06:56 AM
weezie

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
I have been seeing these bias tape makers in the LQS's and JoAnns and have been wondering if they are any good. I make my own double fold binding but if this works good that would be the way to go. So are they really any good??
Yes, but .... as I said earlier in this thread, I use both the tape maker and long, strong pins. The bias tape maker can "spit" the fabric out a little off center sometimes because it is not really a snug fit between the outside metal and the inside plastic. There is also the issue of getting fingers burned because it's necessary to iron the folds as soon as they come out of the end of tape maker, i.e., before they unfold again. HOWEVER, if I feed from the tape maker and then directly under 2 long pins (or needles), the pins not only maintain the creases in the fabric, but give enough room to press the tape without burning my fingers; in fact, you can even iron right over the pins. I'm not happy with the results using the bias tape makers unless I use the pins too. Hope I'm making this clear.

Oh, and a third advantage to using the pins. You have a little leeway between the tape maker and the pins to straighten the folded bias, if necessary, just before you plonk your iron down onto it.