Thread: Life with a cat
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 12:37 PM
quiltmau

Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post
I also have to disagree with declawing. I've had two cats at a time for the past 44 years and have rarely had a piece of furniture hurt. And just for your information, I read that catnip had no affect on cats until they are about 1 year old. So don't expect that to work yet. I have one cat that loves to claw the foam kitchen mat. And the other one likes to claw on sisal wrapped posts. If you get it in your area, watch "My cat from hell" on the Animal Planet channel. That guy really knows cats and has some wonderful suggestions. Because of him, I turned my back patio into a "catio". They have scratching posts, chairs with cushions to curl up on and sleep, carpet covered wood ramps for them to run around the perimeter and, of course, some green plastic netting enclosing the whole patio. They just love it. If you don't have a patio that you can enclose, just be sure the cat has different places in the house where he can get up high and look down on the world. They are much more secure there.
In Australia they have a cat enclosure system called Cat Nip-for pictures and ideas-http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-e...m#.UpJiDsSThbQ. I used this for my fur babies and they loved it. they could go in and out as they pleased-climb, sun, prowl and hunt without being in any danger from other animal. I never had a problem with exercise or behavior when they had this outlet. Now they are older and just lay about the sunroom and deck. LOL. Please don't de-claw this baby-you will regret it for the rest of his life. Your vet SHOULD discourage you from this action.