Old 11-24-2013, 02:26 PM
wildyard

Originally Posted by givio View Post
Linda, is your old quilt knotted? It looks more like it's knotted than hand quilted. I can't see the ends of the knot? Are the ends sewn into the batting? It's looks like a very unusual knot...
Yes it is tied with yarn. The reason you can't really see the ends is that they have been washed and used so long they have frizzed themselves into little knots. If you look closely tho, you will see that they are there.
This quilt now belongs to my 44 yr old son and it is in kinda sad shape in some areas. The fabric has parted on the seam lines, not that the seams have come unsewn, but the stitching lines have ripped open on the fabric in areas. This has left little strings of fabric that were once the seam margins now flapping in the breeze. LOL.
I am going to do a sturdy repair on it by gluing down the loose fabrics, or perhaps using press-a-seam, first, then doing a good zig-zag stitch over ALL seams to reinforce them. Also, the binding has split open along most of the edges, so I will rebind it, too.
My son loves this quilt which is why it's in such sad shape. He has owned it since he was 18 and loved it well. He calls it his Happy Sombrero quilt. He thought it couldn't be fixed but as a Christmas surprise, I am going to make it usable again.