Thread: Go rag die
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 08:10 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
would someone post an image of what you are talking about? Never done a rag quilt nor do I have any of the machine cutters, but I am interested.
Sounds like a two prong problem, reading all the posts. The die fills up with thread hairs and if the cuts or fabric are off, something? needs clipped by hand?

thanks
Most people do them by hand; which involves cutting lots of square blocks all the same size and either batting or and additional layer for the center but this one is an inch or two smaller than the fabric blocks. You layer the three (some only use two) fabrics/batting and the sew an X in the middle to hold them all together. I also like to embroidery a design instead of usning the X in the middle. When the blocks are sewed together its with the seams facing out, they aren't inside of the quilt. Then either by rather regular scissors or special scissors all of the out facing seams (which are about an inch long) but they are all cut with slits close together. When the quilts are washed the fabric (normally flannel is used) it frays and curls. Some people use demin and you can use fleece but it doesn't fray. If you search here on this site you can see what they look like. It's hard to explain without having a picture. I would never make one if I had to go and snip all of these blocks. I've done several of them using the raq die and never had a problem with them cutting wrong, you just make sure the fabric covers the cutting line on the die. I will buy flannel when its on sale and then make up a bunch of the blocks and keep them in a tote and then when I need a quick present, I can chose the blocks appropriate for that person, rather baby or adult and sew them together and have a quick present that is homemade. The dies filling up isn't that big of a deal and like others have posted, you don't have to clean after each run thru the cutter and you can cut up to 3 layers of fabric at a time so it saves time cutting and snipping. I'm not sure if Accucut has a video on doing it on thier site or not. if not I'm sure there is one on youtube.