Old 11-26-2013, 06:47 PM
Petalpatsy

I did my first two quilts on the adjustable height Q-snap frame from JoAnn's. I had a 50% off coupon for it. It was great, actually, cheap, sturdy enough to lean on, light and easy to move as a stable unit, push it away, pull it forward all with easy, and easy to position and reposition the quilt. The four half pipe side clamps hold the quilt tight enough and don't put a strain on it. I left my quilt on that frame 24/7/365 and got no strain stretch on any of my hand sewn seams.

Then I got an Ulmer, because somebody close was selling hers used and it seemed all nice and natural and earthy being made from wood. It's bit awkward to get the spring clamp on, but you can learn that. The thing is, that clamp uses a lot of force to bend and cram the quilt into the holding board. It makes me cringe and so I try to hand tuck my quilt into place, gently with my fingers, and then place the clamp, and I always take it off before bed. Also, when you try to push the whole thing back from your chair, it wants to wobble and warp so you really have to hold either end and pick the whole thing, quilt and all, up from ground completely, the then set it back down away from you. There's no cross bar and the bottom to keep it stable as a unit at all. Frankly, I just wouldn't recommend it as a best option.

I haven't used the Hinterburg or the GraceHoop2, so I can't really speak to them and how stable or sturdy they'd be. Hopes this helps a bit!