View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Cecilia S.

Update: Have done three or four coats of Shellac on Vinnie, and now I plan to let him dry for approx a week, and then naptha-clean and the wax-polish him. In general it went quite well. I got the hang, by the end of just the right amount (I think!) of shellac and linseed.

One thing that happened was that some dust stuck into the finish over the days between coats, and did not want to blow or wipe off. I suspect I may have used too much linseed in the first coat or two, as a beginner, and this there are some dust fibers nicely embedded in the shellac finish. Oops.

My instinct is to let it completely dry, and then to give it a light buffing prior to wax-polishing. For this, I have super fine sandpaper, 1000 grit, or I have a white synthetic buffing abrasive, which I bought at the shellac shoppe; apparently this is used in French polishing wood. It is similar to the scrubby side of a scrubby dish sponge.

Glenn, would you suggest any of that as a good thing to do, or is there a better solution?

Would I simply buff, then naptha, then wax? Or, would you recommend to buff, then another shellac coat, and then cure again and -then- naptha and wax?

Thanks in advance...

C.