Old 11-27-2013, 10:44 AM
J Miller

Candace,

Our local GW, SA and other thrift stores have virtually nothing sewing related. Once in a blue moon you'll find something, but not often.
I've had decent luck with GW auctions. Only a few machines arrived damaged and we got our money back on those.

Besides I find eBay far more expensive and difficult to use, and they force you to pay with PayPal whereas GW does give you choices.

Geri B,

GW auctions is just like eBay in that "you" have to set your max price, and do not go over that. Like in my original post, I decided that I would not pay over the minimum bid due to the condition of the machine. I was outbid by a shill and the machine later re-listed. I still want that motor and might try again, but I'm not sure.

As for the shipping costs, again, you can check them before you even bid, then decide if it's too much or OK. I do that all the time. Many machines have been passed by due to that locations outrageous shipping costs.

And here's something we've been doing recently. When we win a machine, we email them requesting that they make sure it's packed properly and make them reply to our email before we pay for the item. And we tell them we will pay after they respond. So far that's worked pretty good.

Joe