Old 11-30-2013, 02:02 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Default Loooonnggg over due before and after Singer Redeye make over

This fall, Glenn and his wife Pat came up to Indianapolis, camped in the yard, they helped me move my shop and we played in the shop quite a bit. We re-did a Singer 66 redeye one day. It is still not done but looking better. It is my bad that it kind of got pushed aside for other things since they have gone on home. I know I promised I would post some pics and a bit of info how Glenn did this.
I hope I can do it without losing pictures into cyberspace.

MATERIALS [ATTACH=CONFIG]449197[/ATTACH]

NAPTHA - A cleaning solvent - evaporates quickly

SHELLAC - one of the oldest clear finish - one of the more forgiving finishes to work with, but it has it's quirks. Comes in "orange" and "clear" The color difference would be more critical over a light-colored wood, less over black. Use clear if available, orange if it's all you can find.
DENATURED ALCOHOL - The solvent used to make shellac. It doesn't Matter how old it is. Shellac will always dissolve in alcohol - any kind of alcohol. That's why this procedure works.

BOILED LINSEED OIL (MUST be "boiled" not "raw' - Raw will not work for this)
This acts as a lubricant, cleaner, and adds some solids to the finish

RAGS - soft cotton - t-shirt fabric works well - no lint on the fabric

This technique has some uses, but also some limitations. First, it only works on the old-style black sewing machines, and maybe not on all of them. The early sewing machines, up into about 1950 or so, were painted with a black paint, then the decals added, then shellac as a protective coating.
Attached Thumbnails 064.jpg