Old 11-30-2013, 08:45 AM
elizajo

I don't have a sewing room, but I have my sewing notions, fabrics, and sewing machines stashed around the house. There is a built-in bench, coat hooks, and shelf in the area next to the back door. We really only use it for hanging our coats on the hooks and stashing the dog leashes in a basket. The rest of it has pretty baskets with my sewing notions. I have a large vintage picnic basket for my serger thread, a hanging fisherman's basket for zippers and tapes, and laundry baskets under the bench for interfacings, etc.

In the guest bedroom I have a row of those large canvas bins to hold my dress patterns. Underneath the upholstered pillow in my great-grandmother's wicker pram lie a stack of "de-boned" shirts for my next quilt. My small stash of quilting fabrics occupy a shelf in my computer closet in the same room. The outer layer of my 24" X 48" plywood ironing surface is covered in a coordinating decorator fabric. I hide my cutting mats and large June Tailor shape cutter under the guest bed.

I moved my vintage Bernina sewing machine and its table to the sitting area of my master bedroom. It sits in front of a large picture window so I can look outside at the woods and watch TV if I want. The refinished table that I used as a desk now holds my vintage Singer machine. Lots of little decorative tins, and boxes hold presser feet, bobbins, and thread. I have another picnic basket in there.

I was able to keep things neat and mostly hidden away but my whole house looks messy and cluttered now because I've taken on staying with my Mom every morning and still work half a day. I still sew every day for an hour or so, mostly clothing for myself, but one day soon I will de-clutter and get ready to make another quilt.