View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Maksi

Madquilter, that is so funny!

First of al I want thank you all so much for the kind words, it helps me carry on writing here. You are all so friendly and helpfull and I'm so glad I found this board! :)

We have a lot of American shows on Dutch tv but there is always subtitling. I do also watch German tv, Britsh tv, French and Spanish tv. On those there is no subtitling. And yes you are all right, it helps to learn the language. My Spanish gets better and better!

I tell a little story too, about myself couple of years ago when the children were little...
----We live in the Netherlands and in those years we traveled a lot to the South of France. I do speak France a little bit.(and German and Spanish too)
The children, the eldest was 9 years old, were tired and hungry. And there was a Quick around.( A Quick is a French MacDonalds or Burger KIng) We ordered french fries and milkshakes. But there were no straws with the shakes. I walked back to the counter and wanted to ask for straws....but i didn't know the word in French so I asked in English. The French employes did not understand a word I said in English and the children were shouting they want there straws. So I tried to talk with my hands and pretend to drink a milkshake....I don't have to tell you what that was look like!!! BIG BIG mistake. The French employees were laughing so loud they rolled on the floor!!!!

The next day I went to a Hypermarche, a kind of Wallmart and asked an employe what a straw in French is. Paille...never ever never forget it! Because if you do, you look like a fool, just like me..:)))