Old 12-02-2013, 02:24 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
Miriam
Do you have a manual? The one I got yesterday is my 1st of this type, it's a 158.1814, don't know how different that is from yours, but I got it because it had all 3 boxes of attachments and a manual. (monogrammer too, but I haven't tried that yet) At first it wasn't zigging at all, but the TF broke it loose, then it was reading to find the proper setting on stitch modifier knob. Does yours have such a control?

Jim
Mine has knobs for sure. I have a manual but some if it is not clear. The instructions did not go in my head until I saw the Utube video. Not ALL of the stitches look exactly like the disks - they are not what I expect anyway. I don't know if it is making them correctly or not. I like it that I can make the patterns longer with the flip of a knob. Mine has a knob on the left - you flip it to put in a disk. Then you have two choices for how long or short the stitches go. You can also flip it to neutral and it will zig zag. There is a zig zag (stitch width) knob in the center - to do the disks it has to be set at 0 - any other setting and it goes into zig zag. Then there is a knob on the right - it has more markings than ability to go to the markings. One direction does the double stitches. If you set the machine on one of the settings it makes very short stitches when you want them long. Below that is the stitch length knob. It was stuck up but good. I oiled it and oiled it. Finally got it to move freely. On some of the disk patterns you can adjust the length and the pattern still works. Some you have to have it set at 0. If the knob above it is in the wrong position it will only make about 400 stitches per inch. exaggeration... When I realized you have to turn that knob above to get it to do a basting stitch things started to get cool for me. I think it is a wee bit complicated though. I'm thinking it would be a PITB for a new sewer to use. I can see myself 50 years ago hauling that one out to the tree stump and using a sledge on it....