View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 05:25 AM
ThayerRags

You have a nice example of a rebuilt Singer Model 66.

I agree with Rodney, and think that Great Eastern was probably an independent sewing machine repair/rebuild shop. I understand that there were many shops that were involved in “electrifying” treadle and hand crank sewing machines in the late 40s and early 50s. Apparently, machine owners couldn’t wait to use electricity to power their machines, and I can understand why. Electrical tools and appliances were one heck of an innovation.

The crinkle finish was also popular during the time, and probably easier for small shops to apply than Japanning and decals. Decal availability was limited for small shops too. Singer didn’t share theirs.

You’ll notice that the Singer badge plate has been removed and the casting number and badge pin holes are visible. That was a requirement from Singer. The Singer logos were supposed to be removed from all rebuilt machines. Not all shops did it, but Singer saw to it that most of them did. They could get by with using the word singer, but not any logos or trademarks. It was, after all, still a Singer machine, but the logos and trademarks were off limits. Singer wanted to make sure that everyone knew it was no longer all Singer quality.

The small disc hand wheel and the stitch length regulator were non-Singer and added to modernize the machine. They were available from SM parts distributors, along with the motor, and an electric light that mounted in various ways, often by attachment at the rear inspection plate.

I have a rebuilt and electrified 1906 Singer Model 28, but they got by without removing the Singer badge.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine233_05.jpg   machine233_03.jpg  

Last edited by ThayerRags; 12-02-2013 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Added a photo.