Old 12-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Macybaby

I never said I would not apply a finish - I just won't use Poly (short for polyurethane) on them. I have a very strong dislike for Polyshades - but I know some like it. To me it's the lazy man's way, and it does an OK job at staining and finishing, but not a good job of either. It looks pretty good in pictures over the internet . . .

For old stuff, I really like Minwax's Antique Oil - and I hand apply at least 4 coats. 6-7 is often better. Gives a deep luster without the "plastic" look of polyurethane. I've used Antique Oil on most of the wood stained trim in my house, but its' 130 years old and I wanted an older look to the finishes. It's held up very well, and you can easily apply another coat to freshen it up as it will soften and blend with the existing finish. For a harder surface, I'll use General Finishes Salad Bowl. I used that on my baking center countertops and table, and loved the way it turned out - and it's very durable.

Polyurethane layers do not combine - each layer is separate - just sand through from one to the lower and see what kind of rings you can get! I find Poly rather unforgiving and a pain to work with - except you can get a durable finish with only one or two coats.