Old 12-04-2013, 03:32 AM
Rhonda
Power Poster

Tips and Troubleshooting:

Make sure your squares are matching at the corners. Take the time to check for this as you join the Bostons and HSTs. This is one of the main reasons things become crooked and seams don't meet or points are lost
[ATTACH=CONFIG]449812[/ATTACH]

To keep fabric and seams from moving I prefer to tack things in place
I think pins can still allow too much movement.

I take the needle through the fabric just below the seam join and then up and out above the seams. Take this stitch at least once or twice. Make sure the thread is tight and not loose.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]449813[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]449814[/ATTACH]

I tack at the edge on each end where the seam will go through. I also tack anywhere there are seams to match
[ATTACH=CONFIG]449815[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]449816[/ATTACH]

When I tack I often like to check to see if my seams are meeting after I tack them but before I sew the seam.
You can see the seams meet just in front of my thumb there. It is good to make sure you got the tack on there in the right place and that it is holding well. This is one benefit of using tacks that you can't do with pins.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]449826[/ATTACH]

After sewing squares or 4 patches make sure to measure to make sure it is the right size. This will help to make sure you end up with the size of quilt block you want. Now is the time to fix things that might not be quite right.

Here I checked a joined pair of squares and they were crooked. I like to turn them over so I can see them from the back. I think it is easier to see if they are crooked.

Crooked
[ATTACH=CONFIG]449817[/ATTACH]

Measured you can see it isn't straight
[ATTACH=CONFIG]449818[/ATTACH]

And fixed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]449819[/ATTACH]

To fix this I tightened the seam. to do this you just decide where it needs to be fixed and sew along the seam and make the seam a bit wider.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]449820[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 11.jpg   .jpg   b.jpg   5.jpg   12.jpg  

1.jpg   2.jpg   4.jpg   3.jpg   10.jpg  

Last edited by Rhonda; 12-04-2013 at 03:42 AM.