Thread: Life with a cat
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 08:48 PM
KerryK

I'm soooooo sooooooooooooo glad you are not having your kitten declawed. I agree with all the posters who have given the reasons why they should not be declawed.

I have no cats now, just my baby Gracie (avatar), but I did have a Maine Coon for almost 12 years. I tried the scratching posts that you can buy, and they "sorta" worked, but not all the time. We had a fireplace and the logs we used were about 20" long. We had one split vertically down the middle. I took one half and propped it up against the wall in the den, with a towel behind it to protect the wall. The other one was farther back in the house, set up the same way. She absolutely loved the natural bark of the half-log, and used it all the time. In fact, she used it so much that after a couple of years she actually wore the bark off on one section of it until it was smooth. After I put the logs up for her to scratch, she never ever touched a piece of furniture. I think she really enjoyed the natural feel of the bark. I very strongly and highly recommend this method. Good luck with your sweet baby.