View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 01:10 PM
MacThayer

My mind's eye doesn't like the jelly roll quilt with the wide stripes. If you don't want to do the narrower strips, how about cutting out squares and fitting them together in a quilt? I'd go on multiples of 3, and I just finished a quilt like that and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to do. Of course, you also have to add seam allowances, so that 3" would actually be 3 1/2". But for example, I used blocks that were: 3"X 8", 12" X 12", 9" X 6", 9" X 15". 6" X 6", etc. etc. Those are without seam allowances, don't forget. Then I laid out the quilt until I was satisfied with the arrangement of all of these multi-sized blocks and their surrounding colors. I did have to fill in a few spots with a 3" X 4" pieces I had to make up, plus other, similar, small blocks, in order to make it work. I had to design the quilt on graph paper before I could do it. But it turned out brilliantly! I loved all the different sizes versus doing something like putting together strings of 4" blocks. Anyway, it's a thought.