Old 12-06-2013, 01:49 PM
SemiSweet

Default I just got a great idea, why not use quilts as a source of insulation??

I woke up this morning and with windchill, we were in the negatives. So when I got home today, I was planning on putting up plastic on a couple windows because I had been putting that off for a while. Turns out there was no window plastic because we'd used it all up last year, so I decided to just hang blankets for now.

I was curious if anyone really knew how well those would work compared to plastic, when I came across this gem:
http://www.jasonmorrison.net/content...-wall-hanging/

To quote this tutorial,
One thing I might recommend – try to make your frames less than 40 inches wide. That’s because fabric is often sold in bolts that are 44-46 inches wide. if you want wider you’ll have to do some searching or some sewing.
I thought, "Wow!" What an idea! But why stop there? Why not make a quilt top, create a frame and put that mylar stuff between to insulate. That would give the double whammy of being a gorgeous piece of art to hang on the wall with a purpose! I happen to have a handy fiance that would love to save us some money off our heating bill and would be more than willing to create a frame for me.

Once I finish my last Christmas gift, this is next on my to do list. I'll make sure to post a photo when I have my first completed.