Old 12-06-2013, 10:03 PM
sushi

Please help me understand if this what you're saying:

1) You've made 2 strip-pieced borders for the top and bottom of the quilt that are 84" long.
2) You've made 2 strip-pieced borders for the sides of the quilt that are 95" long.
3) The "Emma Grace" section is supposed to be centered.

If I'm right about 3 - and the Emma Grace piece can't be centered in a natural-looking way - then I'd intentionally place it off center. Might even be placed on a diagonal like a banner. The trick is to make it look intentional!

If I'm wrong about 3, and your problem is that you can't make your borders line up, I strongly recommend that you remove them from the center piece. Then measure the center piece thru the middle both vertically and horizontally. Recut your borders to ~those measurements. Next, pin them back onto the center piece carefully, starting with pins in the middles and ends of each side, then halfway between those, and so forth. (When you're trying to fit together two pieces of fabric that are not of exactly the same length, the process is known as "easing.") In addition, I find it more natural to attach the two side pieces before I attach the top and bottom.

Since you're worried about not losing inches in the width of the quilt, you might consider adding another border strip just on the sides. As long as it follows the general character of the quilt, I don't think the eye will care that there's an extra border on those two sides and not the top and bottom.

I hope I'm addressing the question you're asking. If I'm way off base (and no one else has given you the advice you're looking for), please ask again. Just like the others, I'd really like to help you.