View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 11:05 PM
cathyvv

My first choice would be the Brother.

I have 3 Brother machines now. A 4th died an untimely death while we were vacationing. It fell on it's head when my DH packed the car and it suffered fatal injuries. It cost me $89 when I bought it 6 years earlier. I'm not gentle with my sewing machines; it stood my abuse for 6 years and still worked great.

One of my Brothers is a low end mechanical that I will use for traveling. It works great, has a nice stitch. One is the SE350, with a 4" embroidery attachment. Someday I might work up the courage to try embroidery. The latest one is a sewing and quilting machine that has a larger throat for quilting. It's not much larger, but I plan to use it for doll quilts, so it's fine. I really like how all of them work.

Brother manuals are excellent. When I worked, I wrote requirements for systems and often had to also write user manuals. I have a HQ16; the manual is, to be kind, brief; I really expected much more from a machine that I paid thousands of dollar to get. The Brother manuals are a cut above; easy to read, good examples, lots of pictures and they also include a lot of basic sewing information. My only complaint is that the print is small, but I'll gladly suffer through that for the info in the manuals.

Janome - the other day I came across a thread on QB about the Janome and bobbin problems. Suggest you find it and read through it. The thread surprised me; none of the other threads I'd read about picking a sewing machine ever had a negative thing to say about Janome.

Look for on the internet for user forums on all three of the machines. That will give you a better idea of the true performance of each of the machines.