Old 12-09-2013, 12:29 PM
manicmike

Originally Posted by maggiek View Post
I bought a machine at an auction and it has AJ510157 on the model plate which appears to translate to a 99 or a 201 model. I have downloaded the manual and finally got the needle in right and it sews OK. I oiled it in all the places it identifies. But it is really loud! Is that something I should expect or is it possible I have something not set up right? Any ideas?
That serial is for a 66, which is a full-size machine from 1950. ISMACS isn't usually wrong with serial numbers but it's possible. 99s are significantly smaller and lighter than 66s or 201s. 201s thread right to left, the other two left to right, and if you get it wrong the machine won't pick up the bobbin thread.

Did you grease the motor? Does the crank turn easily? Where is the noise originating?
When working on cars I narrow down the source of an unpleasant noise using a length of plastic tubing. Stick one end in your ear and move the other over the machine until the noise is loudest.
In my experience, loose feed dogs and dry motors are likely sources, the former being easier to fix (grease tubes are usually blocked with dried up grease).

Last edited by manicmike; 12-09-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: toned down the manic