View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 08:00 AM
llong0233

Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
Please help.

I know that a sewing machine is personal and there will be many different answers to this question:

If you had the opportunity to have one of the following, which would it be? Why?

1. Brother DreamWeaver (sewing and quilting)
2. baby lock Crescendo ('' '' )
3. Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900 (sewing and quilting)

I have looked all three and like them all. I also looked at the Bernina but have eliminated this for my own reasons although I know it's a good machine.
I like the features of all; the Janome has a 9mm stitch width vs. 7mm on the others. The Brother and baby lock (made by the "same" company?) have a sideways stitch which would have saved me zillions of time on my last queen sized quilt. Are the baby locks and brothers comparable in life/service to the owner/etc?

My focus will be on art quilts of all kinds (I want to experiment) and baby things (quilts, hooded towels, etc.) and just having fun.

I will be selling my baby lock dream series quest as a condition to my husband for the new one.

If you have one of these, could you please give me your opinion of it. Is it reliable? Are you a fast, quick, hard quilter or nice and slow? Do you use the features on the machine? Anything else?

I will mention that I don't like to get to know all the little idiosyncrasies of a machine and have to fiddle with all the million little things that can get in the way of just 'getting to work." I just want to load the thread, put in the bobbin, set the stitch and go to it!

Thanks for any comments.
Somewhere on this board (big help, eh?) there's a thread with a lengthy but highly informative article about sewing machine manufacturers that you would probably find very helpful. I hope someone the board is a better researcher than I and can help find it for you. It is a detailed description of all major machines; who makes what, what to expect, etc. Once you collate all the opinions on the board, and if you can read this report (it may be titles "Too Much Information"), you will have enough to make an informed decision. Good luck and enjoy whatever machine you settle on.