Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Default Any tips for putting new leaders on my quilting frame?

When dh rehung my canvas leaders for me, he did a great job in terms of getting a really straight edge on those round rollers; however, while doing it he managed to stretch the canvas edge out-of-shape. I need to take these leaders off because a quilt will not roll evenly anymore.

Anyway, I need to take the canvas leaders off. I have two options: (1) wet the canvas and see if I can straighten it and get new straight edges on the leaders, or (2) make new leaders.

With option #1 I will still need to add fabric to the canvas because I want to use Poor Man's Red Snappers (thank you, cheryl222! http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t234134.html ) and the canvas is too thick for the snappers.

Anyone have advice? I'm afraid I will spend hours struggling with the canvas only to find it's not worth it. I am thinking of going through my stash to find a long length of muslin instead. I am thinking of ripping the muslin down the length to get straight pieces, then doubling it and sewing a casing in the folded edge for the snappers. Not sure if I would serge the raw edges together; figure it might not be as straight then. Dh would duct tape the doubled raw edge to the rollers for me (making *sure* this time not to stretch the edge as he does it!).

Sure seems like a lot of work either way. Anyone have advice for me??