Old 12-10-2013, 11:11 AM
azwendyg

Default Question-Precision Piecing a Dresden Plate

Hi All,

I've been working some dresden plate blocks and am getting ready to assemble them into a quilt top. As I am sewing on the centers I am noticing that the inner parts of the "blades" don't all point exactly toward the center of the circle. I'll complete this quilt top as it is, but would like to figure out how to be more precise with them next time.

I'm hoping some of you can give me some suggestions as to how to do better next time....

I cut all the blades, using a Marty Michele template with the straight/lengthwise grain running straight down the middle of each blade, and I tried to be accurate with my seam allowances, but the inner opening is not anywhere near round in most of my blocks.
I chain pieced and pressed as I went along, but I suspect there was something more I should have done at that point to make sure they laid better...

After the plates were complete, I spray-basted them to the background squares and hand stitched them on.

Here is a thread with some pictures that I posted long ago when I was piecing the plates: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ip-t89035.html As you can see, some of the blades don't really quite line up...

I'd really like to figure out where I went wrong and how to improve my process; suggestions please???