View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Originally Posted by gaigai
OK, I just consulted with my EXPERT hand quilter and she immediately knew what the problem is. Your quilt is too tight/taut in the hoop. Loosen the screw and push in the center just enough to make the quilt stop springing. That will fix the problem.

And, be sure that your thumb is in the claw position in front of the needle when you are loading your needle/making your stitches.
But I don't use a hoop and I still bend needles.... :oops:
I don't either. I lap quilt - no hoop, no frame. My mother got me a frame for Christmas (missing all the bolts :roll: ) so I may put some of my larger quilts on the frame, but I imagine I'll still lap quilt anything that is a twin size or smaller. Now, I do have both arthritis and fibromyalgia and often my fingertips are numb. I can easily see where I might be gripping my needles too tightly, but if I don't I drop them, which gets frustrating.problem.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I used to have problems with my needles bending (and breaking!) but I switched to Roxanne needles. I use a size 11 between. Takes a good long time before I bend one but I typically have about 6 threaded at a time so as one runs out of thread I grab the next one. Maybe the constant switching between 6 needles is keeping me from bending them? I love the Roxanne needles they are nice and sharp and seem to last a long time but they are a B***h to thread! Luckily my quilting light has a magnifier attachment.
I always forget to thread more than one needle. Someone mentioned that the heat from our hands is likely what is bending the needles and I can easily see that for me. I bet threading several needles would help with that. Thanks!