Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 PM
RST

It depends on what you think of as old-fashioned. I know some people used to cold water wash and press dry, then block their quilts to keep them perfectly smooth -- all the better to showcase the precise piecing. More utilitarian quilts got heavy use and frequent washings and they usually do get that puckered and textured look. Some people think of the era of high loft poly-batts as old fashioned-- another style that does not get the crinkle.

I personally do like the texture and crinkle, and I think it's the prevailing preference in younger quilters / modern quilting movement. I love designs with a lot of negative space and fairly heavy quilting, and the crinkle is particularly nice them.

I think it's worth it for any quilter to know how to avoid shrinkage and crinkling if that's the best effect for a particular piece. However, it's very freeing not to be completely driven by the goal of keeping a quilt completely smooth. I think people are far more likely to use and enjoy a quilt that looks like they can throw it over the couch or spread it out on the floor for a baby to crawl on-- perfectly ok to throw into the washer and dryer. Something that requires very careful laundering and looks like it's been ironed and starched stiff feels more like an "heirloom to be kept out of sunlight and never touched by unwashed hands" .