View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
A little trick I have started using is to send the quilt by mail with a return receipt requested. The reciever has to sign for the package. Then I know it has been recieved. (Rarely have I gotten any acknowledgement of the quilt.) It does make me sad :-( that people cannot take the time to say 'thank you.'
That is an excellent idea! I also tend to get an appraisal if I'm sending a quilt through the mail. This protects me, in case the quilt is stolen, and I make a copy of the appraisal to send to the recipient. When my MIL got her quilt, she about passed out to learn that just the replacement value to make the quilt (not counting time or anything else) was over $900. The quilt is on her bed and I love seeing it used, but I don't have to worry that a quilt I spent almost 500 hours making will end up on the floor or dragged to the beach.

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by Sandy1951
Does anyone remember the scene near the end of "How to Make an American Quilt" where the Winona Ryder character drags her new quilt in the dirt? I remember watching that for the first time and getting upset. "I can't believe she just dragged that quilt they put so much time in through the dirt. Look at that! How could the director have her do that?" :-D I guess it was a little silly for me to carry on like that, it was a movie, after all. But still.
Me too! I wanted to reach through that monitor and bitch-slap the girl. I read somewhere that they couldn't get the dirt out either.
I was horrified too when I watched the movie. I can only imagine what the person who made it must have been thinking to see her work so disrespected.

If someone wants a picnic or beach quilt, I can do that. It won't be something I've spent hundreds of hours on though, nor will it be hand quilted, as those are quilts that I expect to stay inside and be used, not drug through the mud or dirt.