Thread: Quilting Budget
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
I learned years ago not to hide purchases from my husband, because I had a friend who did and I was nervous wreck for her. My stomach was in knots. ick! So when I want fabric, I need to rememeber that feeling in my gut. I always ask if it is going to be a big purchase, and I say it will be ok if he says no. But he also has to be ok with me :cry: . I don't have a budget but I usually know when not to ask. I do have quite a stash and always love more. Backing is what I always lack. And batting is getting low cuz fabric is so much prettier to buy...long story...oops! :? BTW my husband doesn't have a budget either for fishing, golf etc. My mom & dad always fought about money...we don't!
LOL! This so reminds me of my mother. She will buy something and stash it in the back of her closet (usually clothes). After 4-6 months she will pull it out and use it or wear it. My father would ask, "Is that new?" And of course she would respond, "NO! I've had this for awhile now." Then she would give him a look like he was an idiot. It got so that he was afraid to ask whenever he saw anything new. Well, one year she dyed her hair BRIGHT red. It was so red it glowed. My father didn't say a word. An entire month went by and she would complain bitterly to me that he didn't even notice. I think he was afraid to say anything, in case he got the usual response. :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't do that!

I don't really splurge on my quilting. I buy what I need, which is usually thread, batting, a particular fabric to finish a project. I will save up and spend a couple hundred during my area's local Shop Hop in May, but otherwise I have to keep things pretty close to the belt. Thankfully I have some amazing friends who give me their scraps and I make most of my quilts from these. However, it looks like we will be getting rid of some bills this coming year and that means extra money - and yes, I have lots of plans to splurge. Hubby thinks we should be able to do all our playing (which is what my quilting is to him) on $100 a month. I can live with that! :-D